Prof. Lambert Meertens
3260 Hillview Avenue
AffiliationsI am Professor Emeritus at Utrecht University. Before coming to Kestrel Institute, I worked at CWI, Amsterdam. I am a member of IFIP Working Group 2.1 on Algorithmic Languages and Calculi
Research Activities (not up to date)
Sensor Networks, Ad-hoc Wireless Networks, Distributed Coordination, Time-Aware Dynamic Scheduling
Application Integration, XML, Generic Editors
- The Views application environment.
- Proxima, a generic presentation-oriented XML editor.
- Designing Constraint Maintainers for User Interaction. A methodology for designing constraint maintainers. Largely finished.
- Groundwork. An inventory of infrastructural components useful for (e.g.) the construction of generic editors and user-interaction mediators.
- Object Structure. An abstract description of object structure useful for (e.g.) the construction of generic editors. Superseded by XML/DOM.
Generic Programming and Squiggol
- Calculemus Igitur!. Presented at The Fun of Programming, a Symposium in honour of Richard Bird's 60th birthday.
- Generic Programming -- An Introduction (with Roland Backhouse, Patrik Jansson and Johan Jeuring). Advanced Functional Programming (S. Doaitse Swierstra, editor), LNCS 1608, pp. 28-115, 1999.
- Nested Datatypes (with Richard Bird). An investigation into the calculational theory of ``nested'' (non-regular) datatypes such as data Nest a = NilN | ConsN(a, Nest(a, a)). Mathematics of Program Construction, MPC'98 (Johan Jeuring, editor), LNCS 1422, pp. 52--67, 1998.
- Functor Pulling. Polytypic functor swap by canned induction on regular functors, generalizing polytypic crush. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Generic Programming (WGP'98), Marstrand, Sweden, June 1998.
- Calculate Polytypically! Programming Languages: Implementations Logics, and Programs, Proceedings PLILP '96 (Herbert Kuchen and S. Doaitse Swierstra, editors), LNCS 1140, pp. 1--16, 1996.
- Category Theory for Program Construction. Lecture Notes for ESSLLI '95, Barcelona, Catalunya.
Program Derivation, Synthesis and Generation
- The Specware system.
- Mescal Requirements. Paper in statu nascendi. An analysis of the requirements for the Mescal system.
- Mescal Architectural Sketches. Paper in statu nascendi. Sketches for the architecture of the Mescal system.
- Slides on Mescal.
- UserInteractionWare. Slides describing an approach.
- UserInteractionWare Tasks. A tentative task breakdown.
Constraints and Lattices
- Least Fixpoints Calculationally. This builds up the theory from the ground. The approach owes much to the work of Backhouse et al. (see A Relational Theory of Datatypes).
- Incremental Fixpoint Computation. Not self-contained, but builds upon the preceding paper. Contains a detailed proof of (an abstract version of) Rehof and Mogensen's algorithm D (see Tractable Constraints in Finite Semilattices).
- Searching for Solutions. An abstract description of constraint solving in terms of propositional sentences rather than (e.g.) space descriptors, giving a unified framework for describing such things as Propagation and Cutting.